Sunday 5 June 2011

The Pedestrian

"To enter out into that silence that was the city at eight 'o clock of a misty evening in November, to put your feet upon that buckling concrete walk, to step over grassy seams and make your way, hands in pockets, through the silences, that was what Mr. Leonard Mead most dearly loved to do. He would stand upon the corner of an intersection and peer down long moonlit avenues of the sidewalk in four directions, deciding which way to go, but it really made no difference; he was alone in the world of A.D. 2053, or as good as alone, and with a final decision made, a path selected, he would stride off, sending patterns of frosty air before him like the smoke of a cigar."-Ray Bradbury

Sometimes when you're out here, you really feel like you're the only person on earth.

I got up early this morning. Like, really early. I don't sleep much, and really, I was too excited to sleep anyways. A whole new place to explore, OMGCAN'TWAIT. I tried to get up as carefully as I could to not wake Lyle, and went on my way.

It's hard to describe, but I guess I'll try my best. The air is fresh here, like the whisper of rain in the air or the faint tang of the salt from the ocean. It fills your lungs and your sinuses and it's absolutely amazing. It had been misty last night and the dew on the leaves sparkled like tiny diamonds. Wish I could capture one and give it to Suze.
But I digress.
The damp ground felt awesome beneath my feet (years of martial arts training means that I have the weird habit of walking around barefoot. Everyone in the class got used to it eventually), and I almost felt like I could feel everything in the forest, feel the flow of life and all that jazz. I wandered around a bit, making sure I didn't get lost, and enjoyed a gorgeous sunrise at a cliff edge. By god. Really makes you feel great, doesn't it? Each and every one of you reading this, I wish you could've seen it. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

By the time I got back, everyone was starting to wake up. Gave Suze a quick hug hello and got to work on breakfast. see, I'm a pretty good cook, so sometimes the duty is delegated to me. Don't mind much; I like to cook. Lyle watched intently; I'm guessing he wants to learn how too. He could just ask, doesn't he know that? ._.

Either way, some more posts might be up today because we're not doing much over here besides unpacking and slacking off. maybe I'll go exploring again (No, I'm totally not trying to shirk responsibility. What makes you think that?) Maybe I'll actually talk about that quote up there for a bit. Dunno. Either way, it'll have to be later; Stuart is shooting me eyedaggers and it's kind of freaking me out. >>;

God, Bradbury had a way with words, didn't he?

Happy Trails,

--Zach(ariah) lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment